Does Mold Cause Health Problems?

Mold is usually not a problem indoors, unless spores land on a wet or damp spot and begin growing. Molds have the potential to cause health problems. 

Molds produce allergens (substances that can cause allergic reactions), irritants, and in some cases, potentially toxic substances (mycotoxins). Inhaling or touching this toxic substance or the spores may cause allergic reactions in sensitive individuals. Allergic responses include hay fever-type symptoms, such as sneezing, runny nose, red eyes, and skin rash (dermatitis).

Allergic reactions are common. They can be immediate or delayed. This toxic substance can also cause asthma attacks in people with asthma who are allergic. In addition, exposure can irritate the eyes, skin, nose, throat, and lungs of both allergic and non-allergic people. Symptoms other than the allergic and irritant types are not commonly reported as a result of inhaling the spores. Research and health effects are ongoing.

This [guidance] provides a brief overview; it does not describe all potential health effects related to exposure. For more detailed information consult with the licensed remediation professional at Springfield Restoration in Harlan, IN.

Springfield Restoration and Remodeling has the experienced crews and professional equipment needed to take care of any type of mold situation. We understand what you are experiencing and we know how to help. Our Emergency Response Team is on call and ready to perform the services necessary to stabilize your property and minimize the damage 24 HOURS a day, 365 DAYS per year.

Water And Fire Damage Requires Certified Professionals

Water and fire damage have the capacity to quickly ruin carpets, clothing, upholstery, wood, drywall, and many other materials in the home. Worse yet, even after removing the immediate threat, both disasters leave behind ongoing issues that can result in serious health problems for the people inside the building. That’s why repair technicians have to be some of the best-trained professionals in the world and be ready to adapt to work conditions that can change right away.

What is the real threat with water and fire damage?

Whenever flames or excess moisture are involved, organic materials inside the building are at risk. That’s because excess moisture often  stimulates harmful mold and other microbial growth, while flames leave behind damaging ash residue. Excess moisture, especially contaminated moisture, can provide the perfect entry point for molds, bacteria, viruses, and other microorganisms, and these microbes can multiply quickly when given the chance to consume organic materials. That’s why remediation firms will sometimes cut out drywall that appears to be dry when a flood wrecks a home. It ensures that the microbes aren’t able to spread up the wall. 

Mold is particularly troublesome in homes with children or pets. Because both children and pets spend much of their time on the floor, it’s important to dispose of any carpet that has been saturated for an extended period of time. Failure to do so can cause respiratory or behavioral issues in the child. 

Flames leave behind clouds of ash once they die out, and this ash quickly moves through the building and settles on anything it can land on. Ash is acidic and will etch glass, corrode metals, and leave behind a powerful odor. This is compounded by smoke residue, which lasts long after the flames have been knocked out. Ash is readily taken up into the home’s climate control system and spreads throughout the building, so it can travel through several rooms with ease. 

Who can help eliminate water and fire damage?

Professionals certified through the Institute of Inspection, Cleaning and Restoration Certification (IICRC) have access to the most modern equipment and methods in both industries. Technicians in the field can nail down the fundamentals better by taking the IICRC’s fire and smoke damage remediation course (FSRT), or the IICRC’s water damage remediation course (WRT). Both the FSRT and the WRT will teach professionals how to quickly assess and react to a variety of work situations. Students will also have hands-on experience with the most modern equipment and detergents, and can use this knowledge to destroy any lingering effects of a disaster.

And once a technician has attained certification in their chosen field, they can continue honing their skills with continuing education courses through the IICRC online. They can also opt for advanced certifications that improve the breadth of a technician’s ability. 

In either case, a remediation technician will be ready for on-the-job experience as soon as they complete the IICRC’s coursework and pass the exam, and they will be able to accelerate their career as a result.

Source: http://www.iicrc.org/what-when-water-and-fire-damage-happens-you-a-390.html

Water Damage | Springfield Restoration Harlan IN


Water damage can be deceptive. Water penetrates into structural cavities creating trapped pockets of saturation.

The detection of water in these areas can often only be discovered with sophisticated moisture detection meters. Undetected moisture will continue to cause damage. This damage, at a minimum, will cause odors. Greater damage will surface when materials delaminate, shrink, split and further deteriorate to where costly repairs are required.

More than just removing excess water, IICRC-certified restorers have the knowledge and equipment to further dry a home or facility (including substructure materials) completely back to pre-loss conditions. Through timely response and the careful monitoring of water damage, mold and other health issues can be prevented. 

All IICRC-certified professionals have the training and experience to identify moisture sources, evaluate mold growth (visible or suspected), contain damage, remove contamination and dry materials to ensure that mold will not return.

If water damage has been present too long, mold will occur.  At any stage of water damage, call Springfield Restoration for Water Damage Repair in Harlan, Indiana. (260) 657-3351 Our Emergency Response Team is on call and ready to perform the services necessary to stabilize your property and minimize the damage 24 HOURS a day, 365 DAYS per year.

Source:
http://www.iicrc.org/consumers/care/water-damage/

Holiday Fire Safety Tips

Springfield Restoration & Remodeling has some tips residents can follow to protect themselves and their families from fire hazards this holiday season.

- While real candles can impart a lovely glow, officials suggest using battery-operated ones that can look, smell and feel like a real candle. (If using real candles, matches and lighters should be kept in a locked cabinet, out of reach of children.)

- Anyone hanging lights should make sure they are using ones that are marked for the location, either indoor or outdoor.

- Any light strings with worn or broken cords or loose bulbs should be replaced. Also be careful to not overload a wall outlet with too many light strings because they can get warm and short-out, causing a fire.

- If hanging multiple light strings, officials recommend using a power strip or surge protector instead of extension cords because extension cords do not have circuit fuses that will trip if there is a problem.

- If you have a natural tree, it should be kept at least three feet away from heat sources like fireplaces, radiators, space heaters, candles or heat vents. (Natural trees should be watered daily because a dry tree can be dangerous and catch on fire easily.) Trees, real or fake, should also not be placed near exits.

- Make sure to test your smoke alarms and share any fire escape plans with family and any guests.

- When cooking on a stove, do not leave your food unattended, and there should be a three-foot kid-free safety zone around cooking appliances.

REMEMBER: Our Emergency Response Team is on call and ready to perform the services necessary to stabilize your property and minimize the fire damage 24 HOURS a day, 365 DAYS per year. Please do not hesitate to call us. (260) 657-3351