Does Mold Cause Health Problems?

Mold is usually not a problem indoors, unless spores land on a wet or damp spot and begin growing. Molds have the potential to cause health problems. 

Molds produce allergens (substances that can cause allergic reactions), irritants, and in some cases, potentially toxic substances (mycotoxins). Inhaling or touching this toxic substance or the spores may cause allergic reactions in sensitive individuals. Allergic responses include hay fever-type symptoms, such as sneezing, runny nose, red eyes, and skin rash (dermatitis).

Allergic reactions are common. They can be immediate or delayed. This toxic substance can also cause asthma attacks in people with asthma who are allergic. In addition, exposure can irritate the eyes, skin, nose, throat, and lungs of both allergic and non-allergic people. Symptoms other than the allergic and irritant types are not commonly reported as a result of inhaling the spores. Research and health effects are ongoing.

This [guidance] provides a brief overview; it does not describe all potential health effects related to exposure. For more detailed information consult with the licensed remediation professional at Springfield Restoration in Harlan, IN.

Springfield Restoration and Remodeling has the experienced crews and professional equipment needed to take care of any type of mold situation. We understand what you are experiencing and we know how to help. Our Emergency Response Team is on call and ready to perform the services necessary to stabilize your property and minimize the damage 24 HOURS a day, 365 DAYS per year.