Holiday Fire Safety Tips

Springfield Restoration & Remodeling has some tips residents can follow to protect themselves and their families from fire hazards this holiday season.

- While real candles can impart a lovely glow, officials suggest using battery-operated ones that can look, smell and feel like a real candle. (If using real candles, matches and lighters should be kept in a locked cabinet, out of reach of children.)

- Anyone hanging lights should make sure they are using ones that are marked for the location, either indoor or outdoor.

- Any light strings with worn or broken cords or loose bulbs should be replaced. Also be careful to not overload a wall outlet with too many light strings because they can get warm and short-out, causing a fire.

- If hanging multiple light strings, officials recommend using a power strip or surge protector instead of extension cords because extension cords do not have circuit fuses that will trip if there is a problem.

- If you have a natural tree, it should be kept at least three feet away from heat sources like fireplaces, radiators, space heaters, candles or heat vents. (Natural trees should be watered daily because a dry tree can be dangerous and catch on fire easily.) Trees, real or fake, should also not be placed near exits.

- Make sure to test your smoke alarms and share any fire escape plans with family and any guests.

- When cooking on a stove, do not leave your food unattended, and there should be a three-foot kid-free safety zone around cooking appliances.

REMEMBER: Our Emergency Response Team is on call and ready to perform the services necessary to stabilize your property and minimize the fire damage 24 HOURS a day, 365 DAYS per year. Please do not hesitate to call us. (260) 657-3351